Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Back to work...

I never thought I would say that I would be glad when a vacation ended, but I have to admit that I am. After one week of Fall Break and then an extra week off because of the Swine Flu, I was beginning to feel rather useless. Classes were back in session on Monday and things are almost back to normal…sort of. Due to the continuing spread of the flu, many schools in Moldova are taking extra precautions to protect students and teachers. My school is recording every student’s temperature daily and sending any child with even a slight fever or any symptoms to the hospital immediately. I personally think that many students see this as an open invitation to get “sick” in order to miss a few lessons. Today, I was walking to the school and passed 2 of the boys in my 10th form class who were walking to the hospital because they were “sick”. I am no doctor, but those boys definitely did not look like they were feeling even slightly under the weather. One of my friends is teaching in a raion center (a bigger town) close to the capitol and, as of today, has to wear a mask to school every day. Unfortunately, the school calendar doesn’t have built-in inclement weather days (or swine flu days) like we do at home, so we have to make up the missed days elsewhere. It looks like the schools are going to be given the option of extending the term into the Christmas break or making the days up on Saturdays. I personally hope that my school picks the latter since I have already booked my trip to Istanbul and my plane takes off 2 days before the term would end if they extend it into the vacation. I am rather skeptical of the effectiveness of trying to make up the time at all…what kid would willingly go to school on Saturdays or on Christmas day (classes could be extended until the 29th)? I have already been told that we can’t give any major assignments, quizzes, or tests because a significant percentage of the student body will be absent on the make-up days. Oh well.

On the subject of Swine Flu…has anybody else ever heard that garlic is a natural antibiotic? I hadn’t before moving to Moldova, and now it seems that garlic is supposed to be my main defense against contracting the gripa. My host mom hasn’t stopped singing its praises for about 2 weeks now. At least my house will be safe from any vampires in the area…everything I eat these days is chock-a-block full of garlic.

Last weekend, I went to a meeting for coaches of Odyssey of the Mind teams. I got some good information, and am now just waiting on the word from my team as to when we are going to start meeting. My team was very successful in the competition last year and actually advanced to the International competition in Slovakia. The national competition will be in February, so we need to get going!

There has been a considerable amount of frost on the ground the past two mornings, and my host family has been lighting our soba (stove) earlier and earlier every day…I still haven’t gotten used to the sun setting so early or wearing so many layers. I guess growing up in Houston doesn’t actually prepare a person too well for a real winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment